Difference between "Smart Client Contrib" and "Prism Contrib"

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:03 AM
Hi,
I am a newbie. I am just wandering around to get Smart Client Guideline for WPF for recent few months. That time I just came to know about "Smart Client Contrib" and started using it in my application. I am confused on seeing the project "Prism Contrib". I have downloaded some sample applications in Prism which looks same like SmartClientContrib.

Could you please explain me the difference between "Smart Client Contrib" and "Prism Contrib"? If both are similar which way should I have to use?
Developer
Jun 18, 2008 at 8:51 PM
Edited Jun 18, 2008 at 8:55 PM
Hi venki, the difference between these sites, is that they extend different patterns & practices projects.

Let me know if this helps,

Ezequiel Jadib 
http://blogs.southworks.net/ejadib

Jun 19, 2008 at 7:49 AM

ejadib wrote:
Hi venki, the difference between these sites, is that they extend different patterns & practices projects.

Ezequiel Jadib 

Hi Ezequiel,
This is fine. Since I am new to this, could you please explain me a little bit more? I need to give an WPF application with Smart Client Guidance. Which way I have to choose?
Developer
Jul 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM
Hi venki, let me share with you a section of the Composite Application Guidance for WPF documentation that you might find useful:

The patterns & practices team has several deliverables for building composite applications. The following list highlights the scenarios where you should consider using each:

• If you need to develop a composite Windows Forms application, consider using Smart Client Software Factory:
    • It leverages the most mature platform.
    • It offers a good development and debugging experience (including tooling, control support, drag and drop, and rapid application development experience).
    • It includes code generation (this is provided with guidance package support and recipes).
    • It includes capabilities for occasionally connected clients.
  • If you need to develop a composite Windows Forms application with islands of Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) content, consider using Smart Client Software Factory and WPF interop:
    • It can be leveraged with an existing Smart Client Software Factory infrastructure.
    • It includes guidance automation (in the form of guidance package support and recipes).
  • If you want to migrate an existing Composite UI Application Block application to WPF, consider using WPFCAB in the SCSFContrib CodePlex project:
    • It allows building pure WPF-based applications with the Composite UI Application Block.
    • It can be leveraged with an existing Smart Client Software Factory infrastructure, except for views.
    • It is not maintained or owned by the patterns & practices team; instead, it is supported by community.
    • It is a literal port of Composite UI Application Block to WPF and not optimized to take advantage of WPF.
    • It does not include guidance automation.
  • If you want to create a composite application with WPF or upgrade an existing WPF application to a composite application, use Composite Application Guidance for WPF:
    • It targets WPF composite application development.
    • It is designed for best use WPF capabilities.
    • It includes a lightweight library—you can choose the library capabilities you want to include.
    • It integrates with existing applications and libraries.
    • It does not include guidance automation.

Ezequiel Jadib

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:21 AM
Edited Jul 18, 2008 at 7:22 AM
Hi Ezequiel,

Please let me know if you can give me explanation on any of below questions.

What PrismContrib project has?
Does Prism support Silverlight integration?
Can I do MAF and MEF integration with Prism?
How to integrate code developed in MFC/C++ (Winforms) into Prism(WPF)?

- Harry
Developer
Jul 31, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Hi hpatel,

The prism contrib contains components developed by the community that will help expand the possibilities of CompositeWPF further.
At this point we have a few custom services and region adapters. There's also a version of compositeWPF for silverlight included in the sourcecontrol.

I don't know what you mean with MAF en MEF integration, could you explain what the terms mean?

Depending on how you wrote your C++ application you can integrate it into CompositeWPF by using a Windows integration host on a view and load the windows forms control on there.
However this only works with managed C++, MFC classes are not supported as they are not managed.

Hope this answers your questions,

Regards,

W.Meints
Aug 1, 2008 at 4:40 AM
Hi W.Meints,

Thanks for your reply.
MAF: It's technology to add new Add-ins into composite application. .Net provides System.Addin namespace for same.

How can i do integration of MAF into Prism?

- Harry
Sep 10, 2008 at 2:15 PM
Hi,
I am interested too in a possible integration of MAF into Prism.
Are they mutually exclusive, or there are benefits of one to merge with the other?

Thanks

- Riccardo